Your Allergy Evaluation
Your Allergy Evaluation
Your allergy evaluation will help us get to the root cause of your allergy symptoms. Here's what’s next:
- Your allergy evaluation and possible skin test have been scheduled for a 60-90 minute appointment.
- If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian will need to accompany you.
- Please wear a short-sleeved shirt for your evaluation.
- There are no restrictions on food or beverages before your allergy evaluation. You can resume your normal activities for the day once complete.
- Allergy medications known as antihistamines need to be discontinued 5 days prior to your appointment. If you are being seen for hives, these medications do not need to be discontinued. If you feel that you are unable to stop any of these medications, alternative forms of testing can be discussed at your appointment.
- If you are on a beta-blocker medication-combination product such as propranolol, metoprolol, or atenolol, your allergy testing may need to be performed through a blood test. Please do not discontinue this medication without speaking with your primary care provider or ordering doctor.
Antihistamine Medications to Avoid Prior to Allergy Testing
Please stop taking any of the medications below 5 days prior to your allergy testing appointment. This list may not be comprehensive and any medications with “cold” or “allergy” in the name should be avoided. Inhalers should NOT be stopped before allergy testing.
- Advil Allergy Sinus/Tylenol Cold, Flu, Allergy or Sinus
- Astelin nasal spray/Astepro nasal spray
- Antihistamine eye drops (Bepreve, Elestat, Lastacaft, Pataday, Patanol, Optivar, or Zaditor)
- Brompheniramine (Bromfed, Dimetapp)
- Carbinoxamine (Palgic,Rondec Cetirizine (Zyrtec, Zyrtec-D)
- Chlorpheniramine (Chlor-trimeton, Rynatan, Triaminic)
- Clemastine (Tavist)
- Cyproheptadine (Pericactin)
- Desloratidine/Desloratadine-D (Clarinex/ClarinexD)
- Dexchlorpheniramine (Tanafed, Tanafed DMX)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Unisom, Zzzquil, many over the counter sleep aids)
- Dymista nasal spray
- Fexofenadine/Fexofenadine-D (Allegra/Allegra-D)
- Hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril)
- Levocetirizine (Xyzal)
- Loratadine/Loratadine-D (Alavert/Alavert-D, Claritin/Claritin-D)
- Patanase nasal spray
- Promethazine (Phenergn)
- Pyrilalmine (Ryna-12)
We look forward to seeing you soon. If you need to reschedule, please call us at 888.938.3838 at least 48 hours in advance.